Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Flying Deuces, starring Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, and some others.

I found this recently, I don't often search for publicity photos from this well known L&H movie, but sometimes you get lucky. It's a big photo, not the standard 8x10, so it did not fit on the scanner that well. Something had to give in order to keep the French caption intact (I bought it from a French vendor).  I think one of "Georgettes Girlfriends" as they are credited got a little taken off the top. While it is a great photo, I must have missed something in the translation. It is not over 70 years old, and looked to be on pretty new paper. It is likely a screen pull, that someone thought they could make a buck (or Euro) on.
Bonnie Bannon, far right. Jean Shepard, third from left. The other two?  Beats me.
             I am somewhat proud of Bonnie in this movie, as she is the only "girlfriend" in the movie that has any dialog, scant as it may be. As I had only known Nana after she turned 50 or so, her voice was much different than this, but not as deep as her former roommate, Lucille Ball's. It is my understanding that this particular L&H is not only popular because it is pretty good, but because T.V. stations across the nation got to broadcast it for free, from the early 1950's onward. The exact reasoning of which, I don't completely understand, or wish to bore you with.

6 comments:

  1. From L to R Monica Bannister,Mary Jane Carey,Jean Parker and Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, FBN.... and now I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren, I think this is derived from a genuine publicity photo.When you look at the corresponding scene in the film the photo is taken from a little to the left of the movie camera.Also at no time does Jean Parker hold the hands of the 2 maids so it's not a screen capture.I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost right FLYBYNIGHT...only it's Mary Jane Carey on the left and Bannister next to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The girl on the left is Carey...Next to her is Bannister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for that, A.

    I need to work out the bugs with this Blog, and start adding to it again. W.

    ReplyDelete