Monday, December 24, 2012

Hollywood Cavalcade, aka, a day at Santa Monica Beach

Pictured is a publicity photo from the Alice Faye, Don Ameche movie "Hollywood Cavalcade". I have seen the DVD of this movie only once, and I cannot recall if this was taken from an actual scene or not. I have been told that this rock is still on a Santa Monica beach, as it has been for a few thousand years or more. If you look closely, you can see the coastline going north and curving to the left towards Malibu. I believe that this spot is close to where Sunset Blvd ends at PCH. Though it may not that obvious, Bonnie is pictured behind Alice Faye's umbrella where she (Bonnie) is mostly obscured. What is not generally known is that Bonnie's first husband (Charles) was Alice Faye's brother. Charles and Bonnie been divorced a number of years before this film was made. At the time of this movie, Bonnie was married to my Grandfather, Orlando "Slim" Martin, a Los Angeles-based Bandleader (The Pantages, among others)..... but that is a story for another time. That said, I still wonder if there was an awkward moment or two when Bonnie would walk up on the set of a Faye movie and see her former sister-in-law. I guess I will never know for sure in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment